Major breakdowns and malfunctions of refrigerators
The refrigerator is one of the main household appliances, without which no self-respecting housewife can live for a long time. A refrigerator breakdown causes a real shock and significant inconvenience for the whole family. Fortunately, any damage can be fixed. Doing it yourself or calling a professional is a different question. It all depends on the complexity of the breakdown, your skills and desire to understand all the nuances.
Many problems can be fixed on your own. To diagnose a breakdown, there is no need for any special hard-to-pronounce measuring instruments. In most cases, it is enough to have a multimeter on hand. If you decide to troubleshoot, be sure to first turn off the refrigerator and wait until it is completely defrosted. Safety is the first thing a newly minted refrigerator repairman should worry about. In our article we will look at: the main malfunctions of refrigerators; how to identify and eliminate them? In what cases can you repair a refrigerator with your own hands at home, and when can you not do without the qualified assistance of a specialist from the RDT service center?
The main signs that the refrigerator is faulty and requires human intervention include:
there is no lighting inside the refrigerator compartment;
weak or excessively strong cooling of refrigeration compartments;
increased noise (hum, knock, vibration);
no cooling when the compressor is running (not running);
icing of the walls of the freezer;
the appearance of water on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator compartment;
The refrigerator does not turn on or turns off almost immediately after starting.
Let us consider in more detail the main malfunctions of the refrigerator (Libher, Samsung, Haier, Indesit, Whirlpool and other modern models of home appliances). Our service technicians will indicate options for eliminating these very breakdowns.
The refrigerator does not freeze well or does not freeze at all
Possible causes of malfunction of the Indesit refrigerator, which freezes poorly:
- Damage to the temperature controller. The thermostat must be replaced or adjusted at a service center.
- Depressurization of the refrigerator compartment. This can occur due to a loose seal on the door or a violation of the position of the refrigerator door (the position of the door hinges needs to be adjusted).
- Loss of compressor performance (diagnostics and repair of such refrigerator malfunctions are carried out in a service center).
Possible malfunctions of the Indesit refrigerator, which does not freeze at all:
- Freon leak. . During operation, the compressor usually heats up to 55°C. If during long-term operation the compressor overheats, this indicates depressurization of the system or damage to the line, evaporator, or condenser. The malfunction is repaired by a qualified technician.
- Damage to the thermostat. The part must be replaced or adjusted at a service center.
- Decrease in compressor performance (diagnosis and repair of the breakdown is carried out by a technician at the service center).
Need to know! There are times when the refrigerator starts to get very cold. The reason may be the thermostat set to maximum. To fix the problem, you need to set the thermostat to a less intense cooling mode.
Refrigerator won’t turn on
Possible causes of a malfunctioning refrigerator that does not turn on:
- The power cord or plug is damaged. If the light inside the refrigerator compartment does not light and the refrigerator does not turn on, it means that there is no mains voltage or the cord, plug or socket is damaged.
- Insufficient or excessive voltage in the electrical network. . If old refrigerators are not so sensitive to voltage changes, then a modern unit will operate in the range of 200 – 240 W. Otherwise, the refrigerator simply will not turn on.
- The thermostat has failed. To check the functionality of the thermostat, you need to remove the terminals from the wires connected to the thermostat and then connect them together. If the refrigerator is working, the problem is in the thermostat. The temperature regulator cannot be repaired, but must be replaced.
- Defrost button malfunction. To check the functionality of the button, you need to remove the wires that are connected to it and connect them together. If the refrigerator is working, you have discovered a malfunction that can be resolved by replacing the button.
- Relay malfunction (starting or protective). You can check the part using an ohmmeter. Each wire connected to the relay is checked in turn. If the relay is faulty, it needs replacement.
- The contacts in the electrical circuit have oxidized. The circuit is disassembled and all detected oxidized contacts are cleaned. After this, the electrical circuit is assembled in the reverse order.
- Compressor motor failure. Diagnostics involves checking all 3 contacts of the electric motor using an ohmmeter. If the device shows a resistance of less than 8 ohms, it means that there is a short circuit between the turns of the stator winding and the motor needs to be replaced. The refrigerator is making a loud noises crackles Increased noise levels indicate problems such as:
improperly installed refrigerator;
Compressor suspension is damaged
Coping with the first problem will not be difficult. Initially, visually inspect whether household appliances are in contact with kitchen furniture, pipes, etc. You also need to determine whether the refrigerator is positioned correctly: the body should be slightly tilted back. When the cabinet is positioned correctly, refrigerator doors open to 45⁰ should close on their own.
As for the compressor suspension, you cannot do without the help of a specialist.
The refrigerator is leaking
The appearance of water at the bottom of the refrigerator indicates that the tube through which melt water is drained is clogged. Methods for cleaning the tube are individual for each refrigerator model. The procedure, although not complicated, does require steady hands. Therefore, it is better to entrust this malfunction to an RDT service technician.
Other refrigerator malfunctions
Let’s look at other faults that require refrigerator repairs:
- There is no lighting inside the refrigerator compartment. This may indicate a lack of contact between the plug and the socket, damage to the cord, burnout of the lamp, or failure of the shutdown button. All faults, except for a broken button, can be fixed by yourself. It is better to entrust button repair to a specialist.
- Formation of a “coat” (frozen layer of moisture) on the surface of the freezer. The cause of icing on the chamber walls may be a leaky door seal or a broken thermostat. The chamber door does not fit well due to the rubber seal. The thermostat, in most cases, cannot be repaired but must be replaced.
- Turning off the refrigerator immediately after starting. The problem may be related to the starting/protective relay or the compressor, in which the winding may break or an interturn short circuit may occur. Thus, when the compressor starts, the start-protection relay is activated, turning off the unit.
The likelihood of refrigerator malfunctions largely depends on the operating characteristics of household appliances. Our center’s service technicians will promptly carry out diagnostics and repairs, and also give advice and recommendations regarding the correct operation of the equipment, allowing you to avoid problems with the refrigerator in the future.